During this CE webinar, the following topics will be covered:
• Recognize that xerostomia is not simply a problem of “dry mouth” and describe the underlying pathophysiology
• Since 90% of xerostomia cases are caused be medications, understand the most commonly used medications of which you should be aware
• Discuss current treatment strategies for xerostomia
• Recognize the synergistic effect that illicit drugs can have to really precipitate/exacerbate this condition
• Learn a systematic approach to xerostomia management from reviewing systemic conditions and medication use to emphasizing patient education, lifestyle modifications, and various palliative and preventive measures.
• Understand the pharmacological treatment of xerostomia with salivary stimulants, topical fluoride interventions and the use of sugar-free chewing gum to relieve dry-mouth symptoms and improve the patient’s quality of life
disclaimer, bio and commercial disclosure