Drug use is on the rise in this county with approximately 1 in 10 Americans addicted to alcohol and drugs. With the nation’s recent opioid epidemic, which claims 91 lives every day, health care professionals must recognize their responsibilities in treating patients with substance abuse disorders. As dental professionals, we must awaken to the uncomfortable reality that many of our patients are “tweaked”, “cracked” and “loaded” and become more comfortable in detecting patients with substance abuse disorders.
In this CE webinar, discover the drugs that your patients are most likely to abuse. Learn how to become aware of patients with substance abuse disorders. Learn how to recognize the “oral” clues of substance abuse and to discuss suspected abuse with your patients. Learn how to avoid being targeted for drugs by your patients and to manage pain effectively without using opiate-type analgesics. Recognize your professional responsibilities and your own personal boundaries in treating the “addicted” patient.
Upon completion of this CE webinar, the student will
• Identify the drugs patients are most likely to abuse
• Discover the “oral” clues of substance abuse
• Learn how not to fall prey to patients who are “drug seeking”
• Explore the realities of addiction and how to discuss substance abuse with patients
• Discover the dos and don’ts of treating substance abusers safely, effectively and with confidence
disclaimer, bio and commercial disclosure